Thursday, June 14, 2018
6/8/18 Dark Horse's Italian Burger
Dark Horse is a nice homely restaurant in Findlay, OH, slightly hiding on North Main Street. Kristina and I have stopped here before a couple of times, but we hadn't stopped in since they remodeled the location as well as not rated a burger on here. Here's Kristina's review of the Rail Splitter. Today, I am reviewing their Italian Burger.
The toppings were provolone cheese and their "meat sauce". At first, I was disappointed that I was presented with an open-faced burger (typically reserved for a "sloppy" burger) and there was little sauce. This was not presented as a pizza burger, rather an Italian burger. Pizza burgers you want to have a good amount of sauce. For this burger, the sauce was hiding under the cheese like it was tucked into bed. Not sloppy, but not entirely absent either. Their sauce does have a good flavor. It is not quite your normal spaghetti/marinara sauce, but I could not see this sauce with a pasta and didn't overly compliment the burger with its flavor.
The burger patty was a nice, quarter pound, quality patty. Many places tend to focus on their burgers and do not actually have a quality patty when Dark Horse did have a flavor-full, juicy burger. Very good.
With this being an open-faced burger, I was presented with one bun. It was a spongy bun that was there to do it's job. A step above "supermarket bun" but many steps below a quality bun.
This was a nice change of pace for my reviews, but it did not capture my imagination for a specialty burger. One bun and little sauce can be viewed as a cheap burger despite advertising an open-faced burger. This trick really only works with a double patty burger.
Toppings: 3
Burger: 7
Bun: 2
OVERALL: 4
-Nick
nick@rateaburger.com
Want to provide a review? Send your reviews to reviews@rateaburger.com and your burger review can be featured on rateaburger.com!

No comments:
Post a Comment